Gas fireplaces are a great alternative to wood burning fireplaces; they eliminate hassles such as chopping wood, starting the fire, and cleaning soot. There are options to consider:
- Which fireplace style is best for my home?
- What vent type do I need?
- How will the new gas fireplace work with my existing chimney?
- What are my installation options?
As the gas log and fireplace experts, we understand that shopping for a gas fireplace can be complicated, so if after reading this guide you still have questions, give us a call at 1-877-743-2269 and we’ll guide you through the process!
Gas Fireplace Vent Type
The vent type of a gas fireplace determines how the fuel is burned, and where the heat output is directed from the fireplace. The vent type you choose will be determined by the type of fireplace already in your home (or the type you plan to install), and the heating efficiency you prefer. There are ventless gas fireplaces, and two types of vented gas fireplaces: Direct Vent and B Vent.
- Does not require venting or a chimney to operate.
- Gas burns clean and hot.
- Most efficient gas fireplace type since no heat is lost through the venting process.
- Can be vented through a wall or an existing chimney.
- Vented through a co-axial vent system.
- Features an exhaust pipe within an air intake pipe, creating a space between the pipes.
- Fresh air is brought in through the air intake pipe for combustion.
- The inside pipe vents all exhaust back outside through the space.
- Fireplace is sealed by a glass door. This should remain closed while the fireplace is in use.
- Can be vented through an existing chimney or through the roof of the home.
- Uses air from inside the home to expel gas through a dedicated pipe system.
- Relies on the buoyancy of hot gases moving up the pipe to vent effectively.
- Does not have a sealed combustion chamber.
Gas Fireplace Fuel Type
- Most common fuel type for gas heating options.
- Lighter than air, dissipating when released.
- Best option when natural gas line is already run to the house.
- Widely available.
- Convenient in areas when natural gas is not available.
- Requires the existence/installation of an external liquid propane tank.
- Heavier than air; will collect at ground level if valves are left open when not in use.
Gas Fireplace Installation Type
- Creates a fireplace ambiance in your outdoor space.
- Can resemble a traditional masonry fireplace, or have a contemporary appearance.
- Includes the fireplace and burner system.
- Brands: American Fyre Designs and Cal Flame outdoor gas fireplaces.
- Shop Freestanding Outdoor Gas Fireplaces.
- Designed to be installed and operated without a chimney.
- Simply the box that the fire will be housed in.
- Burner and log set will need to be purchased separately to create the fire.
- We recommend using the same brand of gas logs as the firebox brand.
- Shop Ventless Gas Fireboxes.
Gas Fireplace Filler Types
The appearance of your gas fireplace can be traditional or modern, depending on the filler type inside the fireplace. These are also known as the media pieces, which enhance the flames and give your fireplace a unique appearance.
Most gas fireplaces come with a burner and one of the below fillers, which includes everything you need to get a fire going. If you have a vented (Direct Vent or B Vent) gas fireplace, you may add additional accessories such as pinecones, branches, and embers to further enhance the fire.
- Crystalline ember beds.
- Flames reflect off of the glass for a contemporary ambiance.
- Gives the flames texture and depth.
- Reminiscent of a wood burning fire.
- Logs may be molded from real wood logs for a realistic appearance.
- Creates a rustic and traditional ambiance in your home.
Optional Features for Gas Fireplaces
Some gas fireplaces come with additional features to enhance your fireplace experience. From controlling the flames through an app or creating a light show, these are some of the most advanced gas fireplace features.
- Control the fireplace from the comfort of your seat.
- Bluetooth enabled eFire app allows control of all fireplace aspects.
- Found in Napoleon Vector Gas Fireplaces.
LED Lighting System
- Multicolor LED lighting system illuminates the burner pan.
- Creates a colorful spectacle among the flames.
- Choose from 7 colors: deep blue, royal violet, cardinal red, sea green, tranquil blue, and white.
- Found in White Mountain Hearth outdoor gas fireplaces.
If you need help deciding, call one of our gas fireplace experts at 1-877-743-2269!